The Haviland Museum
625 South Main Street
St. Charles, Missouri 63301
The Haviland Museum is located within the historic Newbill-McElhiney House, in historic St. Charles, Missouri. The southern portion of the Federal-styled house was built in 1838 by Franklin S. Newbill, a wealthy St. Charles mill owner. In 1858, a prominent physician and state legislator, Dr. William McElhiney, gave the house a symmetrical look by building a three story addition and an attic on the original house.
Starting in 1842 with David Haviland; Haviland China has been produced
in Limoges, France for sale to American customers. Drawn to Limoges by
the fine quality of the clay, American businessman David Haviland first
purchased and then produced fine china to send home to the family importing
business. In 1893, Theodore Haviland branched off to form his china company.
During the Second World War, production was moved to the United States,
with the Havilands returning thereafter. The Haviland Company is still
in operation today, although no longer operated by the Haviland Family.
David Haviland Theodore Haviland
The Haviland Museum contains nearly a thousand pieces of Haviland China. Examples of this fine porcelain can be found dating from the 1850s to the 1920s. Within you will also find a display of soup tureens, oyster plates, game sets, a mural of 19th century Limoges by Evangeline Groth, elegant serving dishes, a dining table set in Victorian style, and many unusual pieces.
Tours are available by appointment every day except Wednesday and Sunday. Tours are $4.50 per person
Special arrangements can be made for lunch at Mother-in-Law House and tour combinations.
Call (946) 946-9444, or Fax (636) 946-2278, or E-mail the Haviland Lady.
Our Location on Google Maps
WebGuy Bob Hafer